|Institute of Certified Indexers
Promoting Quality in Indexing
Why Use an ICI-Certified Indexer?
ICI-Certified Indexers have:
- had their work and experience reviewed by an independent body (ICI)
- completed and successfully passed a rigorous examination (preparation of a test index on a complex 250- to 300-page text)
- demonstrated knowledge of and adherence to indexing best practices (PDF).
ICI-Certified Indexers are committed to continuing education and must be recertified every three years.
While certification is not a guarantee that every ICI-Certified Indexer will produce an exemplary index in every circumstance, ICI-Certified Indexers are individuals who are devoted to quality in indexing and strive to meet and exceed client needs at every opportunity.
By using ICI-Certified Indexers, editors, authors, and publishers help ensure that the indexes produced for them will be of the highest possible quality.
Find an ICI-Certified Indexer to meet your needs.
Benefits of Certification
- Certification attests to the achievement of special knowledge beyond basic indexing techniques.
- The process of achieving and maintaining certification ensures that indexers continue to hone their indexing capabilities throughout their careers.
- ICI-Certified Indexers stand out when publishers and authors are looking for indexing services; certification validates and provides assurance to clients.
- ICI-Certified Indexers are distinguished through the exclusive use of the "ICI-Certified Indexer" appellation. Only individuals who have successfully completed ICI's certification exam may use that identifier.
- ICI-Certified Indexers are listed on the ICI website, which is used by publishers to find appropriate ICI-Certified Indexers.
Learn how you can become an ICI-Certified Indexer.